Friday, October 19, 2007

Wiki

I think that using a wiki as a tool for collaboration and information gathering is useful. I have looked at several wiki's while doing research on YA services. Wikipedia is a tricky one because you cannot always trust the information. I have found when using Google that many times this is the first web site to come up with information.When deciding whether or not to use this information is on a case by case basis for my own personal use. At work I do not use this as a resource but sometimes will scroll down the page and see what sources they used in finding information. Sometimes these are good sites for information and sometimes not. I tell patrons to be careful using wikipedia because of this.
I think it is great when different libraries can collaborate on a particular topic by using a wiki to add information about what they do at their library and what works and what doesn't. I prefer this to the listservs.

No comments: